Monday, October 4, 2010

Virginia

September 21

After doing a 23 mile day on the 20th, Fauna, who rejoined us in Harper's Ferry, hurt her knee and had to get off trail unfortunately on the 21st. Flora, Hitman and I did a relatively short 14 mile day, and went into Front Royal. Since I had been getting pretty annoyed by my ever growing hair length and my beard, I decided to get a haircut. The beard and long hair is gone now and I don't feel or look like I'm homeless anymore. Front Royal was a pretty awesome town, people-wise. Flora, Hitman and I got 3 offers for a hitch out of town in the grocery store.

My resupply in Front Royal, unfortunately, was going to have to be for 5 days. Because I was still on the hungry side when I went in, I got WAY to much food and ended up carrying 50 lbs worth of gear and food as I left town. Of course the few miles out of town were uphill to the next shelter, so that was a pretty brutal climb.

Sept. 22

This was my first day in the Shenandoahs. I'm pretty sure we did about 28 miles that day to #3 Byrds Nest Shelter. I really don't remember though. I do remember, as I crossed into the Shenandoahs, getting to see some deer that had no fear of humans. I was literally 3 yards away from some of them as I was walking along the trail that day. I also realized that the trail in the Shenandoahs was going to be cake compared to what I am used to. Even though there are some pretty good climbs in the Shenny's, the grades for the climbs make it pretty easy getting up the mountains. We also passed our first Wayside in the Shennys that day. The waysides are basically little stores that have a restaurant in the Shennys. They also serve cheap beer, as I quickly figured out.

Sept. 23

We did another big day the 23rd to Bearfence Mtn. Hut. 23 miles, with some pretty decent climbs. I went and checked out another Wayside that day at the Harry F. Bird Sr. Visitor center.

Sept. 24

The 22nd, 23rd, and 24th were very humid days, and even though the miles were not that tough, with the weather and lack of water, they were pretty brutal. On the 24th I pulled my biggest day on the trail besides the 4 state challenge--33 miles. I began the day around 8 am and didn't pull into Blackrock Hut until 10 pm. The heat and humidity were so bad by 2 pm that I had to pass out for an hour at the ranger station at Simmons Gap. By the end of the night, my feet were getting pretty eaten up. My shoes began breaking over my toes, so it made it painful to step every time a was bending my toes. To make matters worse that night, I came 6 inches away from stepping on a copperhead. To make matters even worse, I had to smell people cooking what smelled like the most delicious dinners at Loft Mtn. Campground as I went by around 8 0r 9 at night. By that point I was absolutely starving. When I got to Blackrock Hut I just set up my sleeping pad and bag and passed out on the ground. I was woken up at 2am by rain so I crawled inside the hut as everyone scrambled to get there things inside before it got wet.

Sept. 25

Flora and I left pretty early on the 25th so we could get into Waynesboro as early as possible to eat. I had such bad chafage that day from the previous day I could barely walk the last few hours. We went to a Chinese buffet in Waynesboro which was absolutely amazing. We stayed in town at the Colony House Motel that night.

Sept. 26

The next day out of Waynesboro it poured cats and dogs. We were planning on a 20 mile day, but when we got the first shelter at 5 miles we decided to stay. That night we met Abear, another thru hiker, who we have been hiking with as of today (Oct. 4). I slept all day in the shelter the 26th. I probably got about 20 hours worth of sleep after getting around 6 the past two nights.

Sept. 27

The next day the rain cleared and I had an awesome day going over some pretty cool central Virginia Mountains. Three Ridges offered some amazing views of the Priest and other surrounding mountains. That night I stayed at Harpers Creek Shelter after a 22 mile day.

Sept. 28

Rain. All day. 24 miles. I was freezing cold even in my rain jacket. he shelter that night (cow camp gap), which was made for 8 people, had 11 people in it when I got there. I was able to crawl into a corner that night in a ball and got some sleep as it rained all night.

Sept. 29
It rained until noon on the 29th. Flora, Abear and I decided to wait it out until it stopped, and hitched into Buena Vista to resupply and get dryed out. We stayed in a motel in Buena Vista and did out laundry which was soaked. We did a mere 5 miles that day.

Sept. 30

The 30th we pulled 24 miles on a nice, cool, fall day. There were some awesome views from the ridges we crossed and it was a pretty easy day without much climbing. We stayed at Matts Creek Shelter that night after crossing the James River that day.

Oct. 1

Though we only did 23 miles, the 1st was a brutal day. The climb up to Apple Orchard Mtn and through the Gullotine were pretty tough. We stayed at Bryant Ridge Shelter that night, and the weather was pretty nice throughout the day.

Oct. 2

We pulled a 27 mile day from Bryant Ridge to Fullhardt Knob. I was super tired from the previous two days and struggled as I got into camp in 11 hours. It was super cold that night as its been for the past week or so.

Oct. 3

Well I missed a day somewhere, this should have been the 4th, which is today. Oh well, I'll figure it out some time. We are doing a 15 mile day today, resupplying, and eating at a buffet. Thats all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment