Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Daleville to Damascus, Virginia

Oct. 4

So instead of catching up with Flora and getting to Lamberts Meadow shelter on the fourth, I stayed in town with a couple of section hikers at the Howard Johnson in Daleville. It sure was nice to stay in a warm hotel room, take a shower, and watch t.v.--unfortunately I paid for those luxuries the next few days. The plan was to do 20 mile days to get to Pearisburg in 4 days, but since I stayed in town, I had 90 miles to do instead of 80 over those 4 days. I figured I'd catch up to Flora the next day, pulling 32 miles. But the weather that day was pretty crappy. I woke up on the 5th around 6 am to pull the 32 miles. By the time I made it 19 miles over Tinker Cliffs (awesome views) and McAfee's Knob (even awesomer views), it was about 4 pm, about 45-50 degrees with strong winds, and the sky looked like it was about to pour. I would have to do another 13.5 miles in order to catch up with Flora that night, and I only had another 3 hours of daylight to do it. I knew I would be going over Dragon's Tooth as soon as it got dark, and with the weather it seemed like a dumb idea to push on that night. So I stayed at Johns Spring Shelter on the night of the 5th.

Oct. 6

So I had to pull a big day on the 6th since I was now 13 miles behind instead of 10. I started hiking at 7 am after waking up to 40-ish degree weather that morning. That day I had 3 big climbs--a 1200 foot climb up to Dragon's Tooth, a 1500 foot climb up to the Audie Murphy Monument, and a 1600 foot climb up to Sinking Creek Mtn. This 30 mile day took me almost 12 hours on the dot. I pulled into Sarver Hollow Shelter right before dark and passed out by 7:30.

Oct. 7

I still needed to pull another big day to catch up with Flora. So I pulled a 25 mile day from Sarver Hollow to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter. I once again awoke at the crack of dawn to get moving early. Though the terrain and mileage were not as bad as on the 6th, I was dead tired from the previous day's hike. There were two big climbs that day, and going from Johns Creek Valley up to Wind Rock was about a 2000 foot climb. I was absolutely exhausted by the time I got up to Wind Rock, but I still had another 8 miles to go before Pine Swamp. After busting ass and running at some points through that 8 mile section, I fully expected to see Flora and a bunch of other thru hikers at the shelter. The previous two nights I had stayed at the shelters alone, and had only seen a handful of hikers the previous few days, so I really needed to see some people for my psyche. When I arrived at the shelter, there was no one there. I threw down my hiking poles and felt like I was about to explode. I calmed down, told myself that Flora and the other thru hikers probably went on to Rice Field Shelter, and set my alarm clock to 2 am. I fully expected myself to wake up and night hike to that shelter, which was 12 miles away. When my alarm woke me up at 2 am, it was of course freezing outside, so of course I went back to sleep. In the morning I woke up late. Flora ended up walking up a half hour later, and apparently she and the other thru hikers had stayed at some dude's house on route 635, about 3/10 of a mile from where I stayed.

Oct. 8

Coming out of Pine Swamp Branch, I had a mere 19 miles into Pearisburg, Va. It was an easy 19 miles, along a ridgeline most of the day, and we were in town by around 4 pm as I recall. I got to meet Hobbit, Lonestar and Coyote for the first time that day. This crew of southbounders all stayed at the Holiday Motor Lodge in Pearisburg that night, and it was pretty sweet to meet some new people after not seeing any new thru hikers in awhile.

Oct. 9
On the 9th, I took my first real "zero" day in awhile. No miles, just chilling in a motel room and watching t.v.. It was glorious.

Oct. 10
Flora's mom, grandma, and godmother came up on the 9th, so I slack packed for the first time this day with the other thru hikers. Slack packing basically involves doing a hike without all your gear, so its pretty enjoyable and makes your life a lot easier. I slackpacked 10 miles from Pearisburg to Sugar Run Gap, where Wood's Hole Hostel is located. Wood's Hole is an old 1800's era log cabin that has been refurbished and takes in hikers. It is basically in the middle of the woods, and you feel like you are in another century when you're at Wood's Hole. The place is basically self-sustaining, growing its own food, heating the house with a wood burning stove, etc. So Flora, Coyote, Hobbit, Abear, Peepeeopee, Kunu, and I ended up staying there the night along with Flora's family that came up. After my slack pack that day, Flora's mom took me up to Bland, Virginia to see my parents who came down for a couple hours to see me for the first time in about 4 months.

Oct. 11

Though the plan was for Flora's family to leave on the 11th, we decided that slack packing was so much fun that we did it again the next day, though this time for 20 miles. Flora's mom dropped everyone that stayed at Woods Hole that night off at route 608, and we walked back to Wood's Hole going north to stay another night. It was well worth it.

Oct. 12

The next day, we got dropped off back at 608 and headed south again. I did a 20 mile day to Laurel Creek/ Va 615. It was a pretty easy day, though it got pretty warm out considering the time of year.

Oct. 13

From Laurel Creek, I did a 24 mile day to Knot Maul Branch Shelter. It was a pretty difficult day, but I took my sweet time once I got up to Chestnut Knob Shelter, elevation 4400 feet. There were great views coming down from the shelter.

Oct. 14/15

The next day we planned on doing a 19 mile day to Chatfield shelter. It rained for awhile in the morning, and it was cold and miserable. Flora and Hobbit decided to stop when we got to the road to Atkins, Virginia, and we got a ride into town and stayed at a motel there. We resupplied the next day, and took a nero day and did the 5 miles out to Chatfield shelter.

Oct. 16

On the 16th, Hobbit decided that he was getting off trail. His back had been bothering him for awhile, and the cold was making it worse, so he headed back to Atkins. Flora, Abear and I planned on doing a 20 mile day on the 16th to a campsite right outside of Troutdale, Va. Unfortunately, there was no water at the campsite, so Abear and Flora kept on hiking until they got to the road. I ended up doing a 27 mile day to Hurricane Mtn. Shelter, and caught up to Coyote there.

Oct. 17

The 17th was a great day. Only a 16 mile day into the Grayson Highlands. The views up there are amazing, and there are wild ponies roaming the area that I got to pet. I stayed at Thomas Knob shelter that night, which is at 5500 feet and has some great views of the area.

Oct. 18th

The 18th had some great views as well from near Whitetop Mtn. The elevation dropped from 5000 feet down to 3000, and I left the Greyson Highlands area. I stayed that night at Saunders Shelter along with Flora, Abear, Coyote, Doc Geo (who caught up to us on the 17th), Kite and Sandpiper (who are doing a flip flop thru hike).

Oct. 19th

So I'm currently in Damascus, VA. I did 10 miles into town, and will most likely do 10 miles tomorrow. I'm under 500 miles, and I will definitely be done by Thanksgiving now, and probably even sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment